New guest chef Pamela Bustard has been whisking up some culinary wonders in the Spamellab kitchen. Her first invention using some Primal26 is an absolute triumph. Over to Pamela for some some divine baking inspiration...
Adding fruits and/or vegetables to healthy baking not only adds extra nutrients and goodness but also flavour, texture and wonderful colours! This gluten-free loaf is packed with grated courgette (trust me, it works) plus Monkey Nutrition Primal26 whey protein isolate for an extra protein boost and tasty chocolate flavour. With a ‘creamy’ caramel topping made from dates and avocado, this really is a delicious but guilt-free treat ideal for any time of the day!
1 ½ cup grated courgette 1 cup buckwheat flour 3 scoops Monkey Nutrition Primal26 Chocolate 3 tbsp cacao powder 2 tsp baking powder ½ cup xylitol or stevia 1 tsp cinnamon 2 eggs, beaten ¼ cup Monkey Coconut Oil, melted ½ cup almond or coconut milk 1 tsp vanilla extract
Caramel frosting: 1 avocado, ½ cup dates, 1 tsp caramel extract, 2 tbsp cacao powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract. Cacao nibs, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and grease and line a silicone loaf mold (a tin one will do if you don’t have one!).
- Put the flour, protein powder, cacao powder, sweetener, cinnamon and baking powder in a large bowl and mix well. Add the grated courgette and stir to coat in the mixture.
- Whisk the eggs and add the melted coconut oil along with the vanilla – leave out the milk for now. Pour into the dry mixture and gently fold in, then add the milk a little at a time – you are looking for a nice thick, wet but firm batter-like mixture.
- Pour this into your prepared loaf tin and smooth out evenly at the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes until risen, golden and a skewer comes out clean. Check halfway through cooking in case you need to cover with foil to prevent burning. Remove from oven, leave for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the caramel frosting, soak the dates in enough hot water to cover them and leave for 20 minutes. Place the dates plus 2 tbsp of the soaking water in a blender with the avocado chunks, cacao powder, caramel and vanilla extract. Whizz up until you have a thick but smooth ‘icing’, then scrape out and keep in the fridge until needed.
- When you’re ready to serve, spoon the frosting over the loaf, sprinkle over some cacao nibs, slice up and enjoy, guilt-free!